Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2024, 03:34:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

[Today at 06:53:01 AM]

[Today at 02:15:11 AM]

[September 13, 2024, 09:57:26 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 08:15:23 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 06:54:58 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 05:58:25 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 12:19:02 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 11:15:10 AM]

[September 12, 2024, 10:41:36 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 08:10:40 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 03:09:19 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 01:33:36 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 11:34:28 AM]

[September 12, 2024, 06:51:52 AM]

[September 11, 2024, 11:32:16 PM]

[September 11, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

[September 11, 2024, 09:40:36 PM]

[September 11, 2024, 07:48:35 PM]

by 4est
[September 11, 2024, 12:46:57 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Update on my unretiring  (Read 2865 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Congrats on your first retirement.

I work at a company where retirement is the norm if you wanted to stay and not like the typical bay area companies where you're usually 'aged' out. Same company as Rey, lapulapu - just don't name it.  I've seen some come back as contractors and it usually works out because they have schedule flexibility (up to them how much time - could be 10-20 hours/week or flexed to more depending on the work load) and the expectations are not the same as when they were FT (works in your favor - if you're the SME, you could do the work in your sleep and cruise). I've also seen a person come back pre-pandemic and it seemed like it wasn't a social fit, where she was just coming in for the work without much interaction and she decided that it wasn't for her.

Are you going back to the same group where you need a small ramp up time to catch up on what you missed in the 2.5 years or are you starting in a new group and would need to get up to speed? The latter might be more difficult because you would need to put in extra effort to get up to speed. Also, is the work remote? And how difficult are your coworkers - or is the team well balanced and fun to work with?

As for SS, it depends on how long you plan on working again and you have up until the end of the year to decide. If it's long term, I'd pay it back assuming that it will allow you to push back on the age that you actually retired. Motivators are important to get back into the grind, so set up goals that you can remind yourself of on those difficult days (e.g. converting retirement funds to roth, etc).

I am going back to equipment support group so only need minimal "refresh".  Will try to negotiate on flexible work days/hours. Phone interviews and presentation went well so far.
But do you love the job?  If I were to go back to work I would die before I did something to take up time or the money.  Better come out of retirement in a truly fulfilling call or ....
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Yes, I love working/tinkling with robotics and equipment  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yes, I love working/tinkling with robotics and equipment  :smt003
That's good news :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Mike wrote:
<snipped> But been thinking of going back full time working again…. So is SSA  different in these calculations? Next July 65…

My read on this is that you were born in 1960, Mike. SSA shows 67 as the age you may be exempt from earnings limits while collecting benefits. Otherwise, the limits apply with reductions of benefit if you earn more than those limits. Definitely dig around on the SSA site to determine your particular case.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Mike wrote:
<snipped> But been thinking of going back full time working again…. So is SSA  different in these calculations? Next July 65…

Definitely dig around on the SSA site to determine your particular case.

Thanks so much…….definitely great info!!! I’m gonna pull my silly ass out of retirement and rock on!!! Will limit my OTW time but daddy needs a new truck  :smt003 :smt044 thanks again
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Mike wrote:

Definitely dig around on the SSA site to determine your particular case.

Thanks so much…….definitely great info!!! I’m gonna pull my silly ass out of retirement and rock on!!! Will limit my OTW time but daddy needs a new truck  :smt003 :smt044 thanks again
Papa needs a brand new bag? :smt006 :smt005  Geeduppa geedonup get on the scene…like a slay machine…

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Got the offer letter from KLA yesterday and accepted their offer.  Will going back to work in 2 weeks from now.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
I "think" my money forecasting is solid.

what will make me want to come back to work will be more socially motivated I think.  basically loneliness, etc.  I know I need to build up my social circles before I retire.

I have a buddy, a bit younger than me.  he prints money, having a family that bought San Francisco real estate back when it was regular money.  he inherited it all.  he won't retire because all his friend are too young to retire, and too poor (like me).  he said retirement won't be fun if all his buds still have to go to work.  lots of truth in that.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Socially motivation is one of reasons I am decided to unretiring besides the income.

IsaoK

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Socially motivation is one of reasons I am decided to unretiring besides the income.
Got the offer letter from KLA yesterday and accepted their offer.  Will going back to work in 2 weeks from now.

Congratulations brother, I’m glad you got the job!
I am guessing that I’m the youngest one to contribute to this thread so feel free to take it with a grain of salt, but if you are able to pay back any SS you have received so far( your opinion 1) and push back your retirement age it might make your contributions higher when you are ready to re-retire.

Thanks for setting the bar high ,

Aloha,

Isao

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile

Congratulations brother, I’m glad you got the job!
I am guessing that I’m the youngest one to contribute to this thread so feel free to take it with a grain of salt, but if you are able to pay back any SS you have received so far( your opinion 1) and push back your retirement age it might make your contributions higher when you are ready to re-retire.

Thanks for setting the bar high ,

Aloha,

Isao

Thanks for your opinion Isao. I am discussing with my wife about this but if we decided with option #1,  we need to pay back 20+ thousands and that is not a small amount!

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Funny i rarely look at ncka these days and right when i'm thinking do i need to come out of retirement this one pops up

Only input i have is

1) take the health insurance part very seriously. I spent 48 years watching american families go bankrupt to save their children. Hospital bills + pharmaceuticals that cost hundreds of dollars per dose. We worked w one family who lost two kids and two homes, brutal to watch. Was the#1 cause of bankruptcy in the usa not sure where it stands now

The old saying you can't take it with you is now bullshit and it raises stark questions about how to protect your family

2) if you fall off the physical wellbeing horse brush yourself off and hop back up soon as you can and ride it hard. None of it comes easy after a certain number of decades
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 12:53:23 PM by bluekayak »

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Two of our friends bought houses in Portugal when the window was still open

We thought about it too long and now the advantages aren’t what they were + Portuguese are starting to resent it re their housing costs went up

Food is great people are great surf is great, one of our favorite spots on the planet
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 02:29:13 PM by bluekayak »

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Funny i rarely look at ncka these days and right when i'm thinking do i need to come out of retirement this one pops up

Only input i have is

1) take the health insurance part very seriously. I spent 48 years watching american families go bankrupt to save their children. Hospital bills + pharmaceuticals that cost hundreds of dollars per dose. We worked w one family who lost two kids and two homes, brutal to watch. Was the#1 cause of bankruptcy in the usa not sure where it stands now

The old saying you can't take it with you is now bullshit and it raises stark questions about how to protect your family

2) if you fall off the physical wellbeing horse brush yourself off and hop back up soon as you can and ride it hard. None of it comes easy after a certain number of decades

Thanks for your inputs bluekayak.  I intend to sign up with the company health plan and keep my Medicare as a supplement plan.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005

Only input i have is

Thanks for your inputs bluekayak.  I intend to sign up with the company health plan and keep my Medicare as a supplement plan.

I've been retired for 10 yrs and on a Senior Advantage plan for 6. My company and I'd imagine others required you to go on a Medicare Advantage plan as soon as you qualify, saves them money.  I have Kaiser and even retired I was on the normal employee medical plan then when it came time  the transition to the senior advantage plan was seamless and financially insignificant (if not better). Of course not all companies and plans are the same.

Enjoy your return to work, I was forced out some yrs ago but then was able to return a year later for more time with the same group, I enjoyed it.