Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2024, 03:38:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

[Today at 06:53:01 AM]

[Today at 02:15:11 AM]

[September 13, 2024, 09:57:26 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 08:15:23 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 06:54:58 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 05:58:25 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 12:19:02 PM]

[September 13, 2024, 11:15:10 AM]

[September 12, 2024, 10:41:36 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 08:10:40 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 03:09:19 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 01:33:36 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 11:34:28 AM]

[September 12, 2024, 06:51:52 AM]

[September 11, 2024, 11:32:16 PM]

[September 11, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

[September 11, 2024, 09:40:36 PM]

[September 11, 2024, 07:48:35 PM]

by 4est
[September 11, 2024, 12:46:57 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Update on my unretiring  (Read 2866 times)

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I just started to collect my SSI early this year so I have 2 options:
1- Pay back what I've collected so far and they will consider as I've never filed for SSI.
2- "Suspend" my current SSI while returning to work and "resume" when stop working.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Number two sound  :smt003better

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Number two sound  :smt003better

Thanks Alex.  I am leaning towards this option.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
personally just passed on an early retirement opportunity.  Dreaming of fishing every day is great, but hard to stop making money.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Returning puts you in a position of control. You should be able to come and go as you please. Good pay i assume? Take the money and work 4 10s? fish all weekend, Share fish and tall tails all week. Win win and money to boot!
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Good Luck Sonny!
If you were to ask the Halibuts in Monterey they would wish you never retire again. 😁🎣
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

Bchen

• Salmon
  • Bernard Chen
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Maybe i need to migrate to Indonesian for retire life meanwhile still can fishing on ocean?

I lived in Singapore a couple of years back and would fish the Malaysian Straits and the area around Indonesia.  Unfortunately, there is a lot of fishing pressure out there so the catch was never that good.  My dream retirement spot would be New Zealand.  Very few people in that part of the world.  We snorkeled for mussels that must have been 7" long (2 mussels was almost too much for one person to eat) and caught/released a bunch of red snapper from a dock.  That place was magic.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
I had been over Singapore several times on business trip.  Beautiful country but cost of living is on the high side.

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Congrats on your first retirement.

I work at a company where retirement is the norm if you wanted to stay and not like the typical bay area companies where you're usually 'aged' out. Same company as Rey, lapulapu - just don't name it.  I've seen some come back as contractors and it usually works out because they have schedule flexibility (up to them how much time - could be 10-20 hours/week or flexed to more depending on the work load) and the expectations are not the same as when they were FT (works in your favor - if you're the SME, you could do the work in your sleep and cruise). I've also seen a person come back pre-pandemic and it seemed like it wasn't a social fit, where she was just coming in for the work without much interaction and she decided that it wasn't for her.

Are you going back to the same group where you need a small ramp up time to catch up on what you missed in the 2.5 years or are you starting in a new group and would need to get up to speed? The latter might be more difficult because you would need to put in extra effort to get up to speed. Also, is the work remote? And how difficult are your coworkers - or is the team well balanced and fun to work with?

As for SS, it depends on how long you plan on working again and you have up until the end of the year to decide. If it's long term, I'd pay it back assuming that it will allow you to push back on the age that you actually retired. Motivators are important to get back into the grind, so set up goals that you can remind yourself of on those difficult days (e.g. converting retirement funds to roth, etc).
hobie24 hobie08 rip

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
An important thing my Financial Advisor told me and hit a nerve. Most people end up spending most of their retirement funds to long term care. I experienced it with my Mom. She lived by herself after my Dad passed away. I had to hire a part-time caregiver then got to the point that she needed to be in a care home with 24 x 7 care.
Since we are living longer, another important thing to consider.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 11:52:32 AM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009

The SSA limits are a real limiter.

What is the limiter??? I’m on SSA right now low tier $$$ going back to work tomorrow after not working for 8.5 years…. Fishin has its virtues.  :smt044

PS Sunny not working gets boring quickly good luck on your choice Brother
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007

What is the limiter??? I’m on SSA right now low tier $$$ going back to work tomorrow after not working for 8.5 years…. Fishin has its virtues.  :smt044

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01921#!

“We use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits:

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.
For 2024 that limit is $22,320.

In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.
If you will reach full retirement age in 2024, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $59,520.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.”
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01921#!

“We use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits:

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.
For 2024 that limit is $22,320.

In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.
If you will reach full retirement age in 2024, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $59,520.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.”

Brian freeze… I collect  SSA $1080.00 SSI $251.00 for being mobile not a lot but I eat a LOT of 🐟 😂 straight commission job coming up… payed to talk selling Softubs leave tomorrow till 3rd week in sept…gonna do a six pac trip and hopefully load up on some Coho’s and Kings WA Salmon fishery’s off the hook!!!  Do a long distance post on it….

But been thinking of going back full time working again…. So is SSA  different in these calculations? Next July 65…

Thanks for your patience on my .?.s. Once a pickle I can never be a cucumber again 😳😂😎
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Congrats on your first retirement.

I work at a company where retirement is the norm if you wanted to stay and not like the typical bay area companies where you're usually 'aged' out. Same company as Rey, lapulapu - just don't name it.  I've seen some come back as contractors and it usually works out because they have schedule flexibility (up to them how much time - could be 10-20 hours/week or flexed to more depending on the work load) and the expectations are not the same as when they were FT (works in your favor - if you're the SME, you could do the work in your sleep and cruise). I've also seen a person come back pre-pandemic and it seemed like it wasn't a social fit, where she was just coming in for the work without much interaction and she decided that it wasn't for her.

Are you going back to the same group where you need a small ramp up time to catch up on what you missed in the 2.5 years or are you starting in a new group and would need to get up to speed? The latter might be more difficult because you would need to put in extra effort to get up to speed. Also, is the work remote? And how difficult are your coworkers - or is the team well balanced and fun to work with?

As for SS, it depends on how long you plan on working again and you have up until the end of the year to decide. If it's long term, I'd pay it back assuming that it will allow you to push back on the age that you actually retired. Motivators are important to get back into the grind, so set up goals that you can remind yourself of on those difficult days (e.g. converting retirement funds to roth, etc).

I am going back to equipment support group so only need minimal "refresh".  Will try to negotiate on flexible work days/hours. Phone interviews and presentation went well so far.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Does Portugal Have Free Public Healthcare? Yes, Portugal does have state-provided healthcare, which is free for all citizens and legal residents in Portugal.”

I believe that I’ve read that you need to get residency before you are eligible. Before that, you need private insurance—very cheap by U.S. standards, but need to be under some age or it’s difficult/impossible to get. So maybe not quite as simple as it sounds. ..
You like your life in a free-form style
You'll take an inch but you'd love a mile

anything